Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Volga - A feminist writer: Q&A



One of my best friends Rakesh Rao, who used to read Volga writings along with me, asked this question.
For those, who like to know more about Volga


His Question:
You read Volga, after marriage, what is your view on her stories?
(Are they looking like fantasy or near to reality)


Volga, Popuri Lalitha Kumari, is never a fantasy story writer to me. She is always real.

Difference is not in my perspective of her stores before and after marriage. It is about the time difference and locale difference.

Yes, she is born in 1950, and she wrote stories based on life style of women during her contemporary. Now, treatment has changed towards woman. Women are respected more than ever before they used to be. They are given nearly equal rights in almost every social life categories.

One best thing happened to me as a result of reading her stories is, I never treat woman as degraded gender or low gender. I treat woman respectful.

Stories like “Swetcha” or “Rajakeeya Kathalu” are not eternal. They are contemporary and timely to uplift the kind of genre. May be after 100 years from now, there would not be any need of today’s Volga stories at all! She might need to change core theme of her writings to different theme. In my perspective, now she should start writing on, what are the natural assets of a woman and how to feel good about them instead of feeling low or not good about them.

In fact, Man does not have as much as emotional freedom what woman has today. Woman can cry whenever she has to and she can get scared whenever she get scared, she can express her love at any time, she can show courage and risky steps. Whereas man, does not have this freedom. He should always act bold and courageous though he is not. He cannot cry and but he should act bold and suppress his emotions and feeling.

Do you know that is how man ego increases further; a false image is created for him since he cannot express his emotions without conditions.

Therefore, I wish to conclude saying my perspective towards Volga has not changed. It is the same way I still perceive when I read i.e. before my marriage. Better thing I am doing is I am letting my woman know the best quality and boon that any woman is blessed with. I do not treat any woman as low-profiled gender.

3 comments:

eshwari said...

Happy to see your post...,

You are correct, when i read the book of "Swetcha" I understood her style a little, that she has projected different instances of mainly two women's lives and their reaction for those instances...,

A girl fed-up with family restrictions wanted to get the "Swetcha" by marrying her lover... Another girl who was also in search of emotional freedom kept herself away from all kinds of bonds...,

And at some time married girl realizes that she has not attained the "Swetcha" by marrying... because lack of understanding...

This is what i understood when i read this book some three years back and never again read that book or any other books of volga...

But on whole what I understand is "Volga was trying to express the efforts of women to attain emotional social and economic freedom"...

IN MY VIEW FREEDOM IS NOT GOING AGAINST ANY RULES OR RELATIONS ANY MAKING A NEW RELATION. I believe freedom can be acheived only by understanding, going against any relation may b parents or relatives would give a burden on hearts, also social disturbances. may give financial freedom. Also, he/she may try to hide some things from society. If one says he/she has freedom of act and does some act, he/she shall be enough daring to act in front of whole world with equal freedom otherwise he/she shall not claim for such freedom.
But i want to tell my personal opinion How I receive/feel for such things is...

Women basically needs understanding, a friendly nature where her words are heard and addressed, eventhough all those words and wishes not fulfilled she can compromise for some things..., but mainly looks for truthfulness, if any false reason is projected for not fulfilling her needs, just bluffing because it is not so important.. then she is not really always so innocent she knows that she is being supressed and there arises the desire for "Swetcha" otherwise most of the women mainly in India get compromised for WHAT ALL THE THINGS SHE HAS TO DO FOR BRINGING HARMONY AS A CHILD FOR PARENTS AND LATER FOR HER FAMILY ALSO, "WITHOUT MUCH COMPLAINING"...

MAIN THING IS PEOPLE WHOM SHE EXPECTS CARE IF THEY DON'T CARE SHE IS DISTURBED...

But yes, the time and all the socio-economic conditions are getting changed and the behaviour and needs of women are also gradually getting changed...

Finally, I would like to say that if everyone behaves friendly truthfully, understandingly to women then it is not only will lead to the self-development of women.., but the whole NATION, whole WORLD.

And equally if a MAN removes his mask of ego he also can be equally free to express all his emotions... I dont know why a man will always be back of proving himself to be a MAN. It is not any self or social requirement,.. but conventionally he is being expected to behave so and also habituated to behave so. BUT HE ONCE REALIZES THE FACT DEVELOPING A FRIENDLY AND "MAINLY UNDERSTANDING" ENVIRONMENT around him can have much more of emotional freedom.

MAN AND WOMAN are equally made to have all freedom. but the social conditions are equally strong for some strong reasons..

Putting all things in harmony is it possible at any moment of time???...

All things I said is upto my understanding only donot know howfar corrrect..... can correct me if anywhere wrong...

Venkat said...

Excellent Comment
All your expression here is filled with great level of understanding and appears out of experience.

Great to see your comment, and I am please with it.

Let us expand the readers of our blogs, think how we can publish widely to get more readers.

eshwari said...

Sure...

All the best for both of us...

Those who are lucky will surely be part of this blog...